Envision Eyecare Helps Kids Reach the Top of the Class
There’s a strong association between sharp eyesight and successful classroom learning.
According to education experts, the bulk of education in school is taught with the help of visual tools. A child who cannot see well is therefore at a distinct disadvantage when it comes to absorbing and processing information. Regular pediatric eye exams are the best way to ensure that your child’s vision makes the grade!
We invite you warmly to come in with your child to meet Dr. Worley, our friendly and experienced optometrist.
Using advanced diagnostic tools and a pleasant, gentle manner, Dr. Worley will evaluate your kid’s eyes, including checking visual acuity (near and far vision), eye teaming, peripheral eyesight, eye mobility and eye-hand coordination. If you have any specific questions about your child’s eyesight, we encourage you to share them with us.
We’ll gladly take the time to address your concerns.
To prepare you for your pediatric eye exam appointment at https://www.envisioneyecarecorsicana.com/our-eye-care-clinic/">Envision Eyecare, here’s some helpful information about what to expect:
When is the right time for a kids eye exam?
What tests are done?
Every child is unique, and we personalize our kids eye exams to suit your child. We will determine which tests and procedures to perform in our Corsicana, MD, office, depending upon your child’s age, developmental stage and personal vision condition.
The following explanations are provided as a basic guideline:
- Infants By three months of age, infants should be able to fixate on an object and track it visually. We’ll assess the development of this skill. We’ll also shine a light into your baby’s eyes to observe how their pupils open and shut in reaction. An additional evaluation that we may conduct is a test called “preferential looking”, in which we show images to your infant and inspect how his or her gaze responds.
- Pre-school children Have no fear if your child isn’t yet confident reading the ABC’s! We can still check visual acuity. Retinoscopy is one useful procedure that we perform; it evaluates how light reflects off the retina. LEA symbols, used in place of a standard letter and number chart, also enable us to assess vision quality by having your child look at graphic images of various shapes, such as an apple or a house. Eye teaming is checked with random dot stereopsis, a method based on showing dot patterns to your kid.
- School-aged kids We will evaluate visual acuity comprehensively to determine if your child needs vision correction, such as prescription eyeglasses or contact lenses. Eye alignment will also be assessed, to verify that the whole visual system is functioning together well. Using a high powered lens, we’ll also inspect your kid’s ocular health for any signs of abnormalities.
What are some common diagnoses made during pediatric eye exams?
- Amblyopia (lazy eye) – generally treated by patching the dominant eye
- Strabismus – due to weak, misaligned eye muscles, surgery is often recommended, or eye exercises are done to strengthen ocular muscles
- Convergence insufficiency – an inability to keep eyes aligned well for reading, vision therapy is often successful treatment
- Binocularity problems – causes difficulty with coordination and depth perception
- Accommodation Problems - Trouble focusing between near and far, vision therapy is usually prescribed
If we detect any of these eyesight problems in your child, we’ll consult with you to discuss what we find – and we’ll work with you to identify the best treatment or therapy for your child’s visual needs, age, health condition and lifestyle.
Call Envision Eyecare on (903) 872-5681 in Corsicana, Texas to schedule an eye exam with our optometrist, Dr. Worley.
Alternatively book an appointment online here CLICK FOR AN APPOINTMENT